Tuesday 15 November 2016

Q&A

At the end of the panel, there was an open Q&A. Here's what we recorded:

Q. In this room we are like minded… how do u think we should engage with people who think we should not have conversations like today’s?

  • Engagement is exactly what it takes to change the conversation
  • People will say something that makes us think outside of our comfort zone; every conversation is an opportunity for change.

Q. As a current student, our education system is focused on empowering diversity. Yet, at the meantime I have also faced racism from teachers. It is contradictory that diversity is taught by teachers but not performed by teachers. How to we ensure teachers don't lose their quality in maintaining equity when ensuring diversity?

  • We have to speak objectively and openly 
  • We have to have a focus on inclusiveness
  • We need to challenge one another 
  • We have to learn from the past
  • We need to model in front of students

Q. How do we deal with the backlash when minorities stand up for their issues?

  • Be louder, push harder
  • By not responding, deoxygenate those negative ideas
  • Kill them with Kindness

Q. How has your early life affected your contributions to society now? Do you recall when you first became committed to challenging racism and other forms of oppression? What was the catalyst for you?

I saw my people drunk, and I was ashamed to be first nation. The point I saw it (First Nations exposing negative images within the society), I decided I didn’t want to be that person. I didn’t know if I didn’t want to be First Nation or just that guy (the First Nation who got drunk) down the road. I think that really shaped me. When i became a teacher and educator I want positive change for the children (not just First Nations children but all with different ethnic groups) in that room. I believe that children can be anything they want to be. I didn’t know what that First Nation/ drunk guy meant at that time (that’s why I was ashamed of my identity). (After all the year) I learnt to be proud of who I am, and I hope the the children can be the bigger impact in the society. (paraphrased)


Q. Roles of the students in the current education system. (A question asked of us, the E-Journalism Students)

  • Won't be as effective if the culture in school isn't recepted as much
  • We actually are receptive
  • We validate what we learn
  • Subjects we implement in our education system, have to address inequality
  • We should create a culture within our schools that is inclusive
  • Addresses inequality that students take seriously
  • Taking the future into our own hands without a supervision 
  • Having discussions even adults aren't around
  • Fostering ideas on our own accord, responsibility on our own
  • Not falling silent 
  • We want to participate in this world.
  • School is about gaining citizenship at a young age.

No comments:

Post a Comment